Thursday, June 14, 2012

the HKUST entries: breakfast OPTIONS (v)

Achcha subah, lovely humanity and the carcasses of LG7...

I hope you didn't miss me a lot in the last few days. If you did, rest assured I was unable to bear our prolonged separation either. Actually, I was trying to keep up with my reading. I completed Chetan Bhagat's Revolution 2020 and currently am preoccupied, much to Rashmi's annoyance, with The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

Today, as you probably guessed from the title, I'm going to discuss breakfast options in HKUST(because I'm really hungry), that I'm aware of. I take this opportunity to apologize to my meaty audience about the lack of information customized to their tastes. Unfortunately for you, friends, my parents happen to be the traditional Mylapore thayir-saadam-manga-thokku mama-mami types and I have somehow been unable to get rid of their herbivorous legacy. So, if this post is too green for you, you know which two human beings to blame (being fair to them, I guess my whole family tree is at fault).

If you want to try out a HKUST breakfast, you have 8 options. Asia Pacific Catering, McDonalds, Chah Chaah Teng, Canteen 2, Cafe, UC Bistro, Park n Shop and Chinese Restaurant(Agrim recommends the pork buns...a little too economically and environmentally expensive for a Tam Brahm like me). Asia Pacific Catering in LG7 offers a pretty sumptuous breakfast meal including Oat Meal, Toast and Horlicks/Coffee/Orange Juice for a mere $13 HKD. Pardon my leaky memory, but from the looks of the other early risers enjoying their breakfast, I guess, it has decent non-veggie options, usually including noodles, ham/pork and a drink. Canteen 2 and Chah Chaah Teng offer pretty much the same stuff but for a $14 Western breakfast, CCT gives you a slice of ham/bacon (can be exchanged for another toast if you can explain it to the cashier), a toast and Horlicks. If you trust Shreya and in particular, her food recommendations(which I think are pretty good), the Horlicks in CCT is extremely diluted and for a good Horlicks experience, you must go to Canteen 2. Take a lift up and go to the Coffee Shop and you'll find plenty of breakfast options awaiting thy consumption. Although most of them revolve around ham, bacon and sausages, there is one meal which includes omelette and coffee worth 15 bucks and is worth a try.

I have never been to UC Bistro but Avishek believes they have some of the best breakfast offers on campus that can really brighten your morning. That leaves Park n Shop and a McBreakfast. If you are one of the organized sun worshippers, Park n Shop is your best bet. You can get cereals such as Nestle Cornflakes, Wheetabix, Milo Nuggets and Chocos for just under HKD $30 and fresh milk for $16 a litre which will surely help answer your first meal issue for 4-5 days(unless you gorge some cereals every time you pass by it). However, if you aren't a great fan of cereals, you can always try out my favourite breakfast option. McDonalds! How I fell in love with McDonalds still perplexes me (only yesterday's waitress appeared cute to me), but its No.3 and No.4 meals(no meat of course) always work miracles on my tired body and mind after a long night at the CSE labs. No.3 meal comes at @ HKD $23.50 and includes three hotcakes, a hashbrown and a drink. No. 4 meal is similarly priced but includes scrambled eggs, hash brown and a drink. Apart from these two options, there are plenty of McMuffins, Filet-o-Fish and Twisty Pasta to delight your hungry stomach. If you are feeling particularly adventurous, I would recommend the Jumbo Breakfast Meal which is essentially a combination of No.3 and No.4. Although having a Jumbo Breakfast is one of my greatest ambitions currently, the sight of such a large meal is highly intimidating. If you are ever so ravenous that you end up wiping out an entire JB, do let me know how the experience went. :)

All this talk of food has set my tummy craving for them. While I get ready to leave for my rendezvous at the HKUST Library, do enjoy browsing this website. Stumble of the Day: Enlightened Perspective.

Meanwhile, the Information Systems Office (you need to really screw up around HKUST to get to know beyond SAO, ARRO and GSO) refunded the money lost in my failed transaction at the Add Value Machine the other day. Nice to know such nice people are around in HKUST :D

Until next time, this is You-Know-Who signing off.

Morsmordre.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment