Monday, August 25, 2014

traversing the WOODS


Another lazy lazy Saturday. Plenty of procrastination, career fantasy roleplaying (never gets old!), cherishing the one random Quora upvote and three more movies. 

I have never been much of a movie person. Well, I have never been an anything person. But, in any conversation, I always manage to surprise ALL my friends with the list of movies I have missed. I confess – I haven’t watched Titanic, Jurassic Park and the older releases of most Super/Bat/Ironman/James Bond stories. In fact, I can count all the times I have been to a theatre (before Singapore) with my two hands – and still have enough fingers to chopstick-eat my noodles. 

However, this is changing. With so much free time in Shanghai during the weekends, I am making a concerted effort to overcome my movie gulf (traversing the unknown woods of Hollywood, Bollywood, Kollywood). Some of the movies I enjoyed a lot in the last two months – Shawshank Redemption, Now You See Me, Inglorious Basterds, Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga, A Beautiful Mind, Tenali Raman, Dhoni and Transformers (with friends at the Cinema – needless to write, first Transformers movie). 




Today’s movies were – Inception, Shaadi ke Side Effects and Rang de Basanti. Inception was cool, innovative but being the novice movie watcher, I found myself lost in the details of how Inception worked. Shaadi ke Side Effects was an interesting, entertaining, unintellectual movie, Farhan Akhtar’s parental anecdotes had me in fits of laughter – that my roommate found it prudent to check on my mental wellbeing. Rang de Basanti is probably my favorite movie of today’s picks, for several reasons not limited to – an engaging, refreshing, resonating story, nice music and Alice Patten’s smile. 

Despite 20+ movies recently, I know – I still got a long way to go to appreciate the wonders that’s cinema. If there’s any movie you think I shouldn’t absolutely miss, leave it as a comment. 

P.S: Rest in Peace, Robin Williams. Sadly, I didn’t know him until he passed away (except as Washington in Night at the Museum). Maybe, I will watch his movies tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment